Hey guys! Hope you are enjoying your summer! Having the kids around all the time, constantly complaining about how hungry they are can sure be stressful. Hopefully you’ll find a bit of relief with this post about healthy kids’ snacks.
***Just a real quick reminder: the ages of your kiddos matter in deciding what snacks to feed. Please never give honey to kids under 1 year. Also keep “choke hazard” foods away from kids under three (nuts, popcorn, etc.)
My kids get a healthy snack one or two times a day. Snack time is between breakfast and lunch and/or between nap time and dinner. Portion control is a big deal. If you feed your kids a huge snack an hour before dinner, they likely won’t want to eat dinner when it is served. They only need a couple hundred calories max for a snack.
My go-to formula is to give them a good source of protein and a fruit or vegetable. Here are some of our favorite snack options:
· Grapes and cheese
· Cottage cheese and blueberries (or pineapple)
· Granola bars (or celery sticks) with peanut butter and raisins
· Bell pepper slices or carrots dipped in hummus
· Nuts and carrot sticks
· Pretzels dipped in nutella and/or peanut butter and a fruit or vegetable (this is sugar-packed, so we only have this occasionally)
· Popcorn with homemade toppings (1 Tablespoon of honey and 1 Tablespoon melted peanut butter drizzled over top, plus pretzel pieces and/or nuts)
· Leftover pancake or waffle topped with peanut butter and strawberries, bananas, or blueberries
Best of luck to you! I have to run. Hungry kiddos yet again! If you have any brilliant snack ideas, please share them below We’d love to hear from you. Chat with you all next week!