Friday, October 25, 2013

Books!

Hello!!
I am so sorry I have not blogged in a while, but I am back:)

We have been insanely busy.  Just the past month, aside from the normal--school, work, babysitting, and just trying to have some family days, we have had two weddings, a funeral, some crazy family problems that I'm not going to get into and I wish upon no family, kids had the chicken pox, I has the stomach flu, been working on some other time consuming stuff that is a result of the previous family issues that I mentioned, and my father was admitted to the hospital for bacterial pneumonia. AND my Brother is getting married tomorrow! ahhhhhh!

So enough of the mumbo jumbo excuses for not blogging....here we go.

Unfortunately, I do not read books....well sometimes I read the books for my classes, but most of the time I do not actually read word for word or the whole book. I can however, give a review of the last book I read for one of my classes. It is called Gifts: How Children with Down Syndrome Have Enriched Our Lives. Edited by Katherine Sober. This book consists of 63 stories from mothers about their child. It is very inspiring to read these stories. Some of the women talk about how they were towards others with disabilities before they had their children with Down syndrome. They regretted what and how they thought. Some of the women knew when they were pregnant something was different, and some received tests and found out before their child was born. Those who had a test were given a choice whether to terminate their pregnancy because their child would have Down syndrome. I do not understand how someone could make that choice just because their child may be different. People with different abilities are some of the most amazing people in this world. Some stories were funny, some were sad, but all the stories had a good message.
            
I would recommend this book If you:
  • Like reading stories about other families
  • Are a mother of or know someone with Down syndrome
  • Like to read many short stories
  • Like true stories
  • Would like to know a little more about Down syndrome
 I really enjoyed reading Gifts. I hope I have the chance to read more books like this. Actually, I hope to have the chance to read more in general.

Thanks for reading, I hope everyone has a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment