Thursday, October 31, 2013

Favorite Thanksgiving Recipe~priddymomma



Hey guys!  I know this is a little strange, since today is Halloween and all, but this week, we’ll be sharing our favorite Thanksgiving recipes.  Hey.  If the stores can have Christmas stuff out now, then we can talk about Turkey Day, right?!  

I love Thanksgiving, and I make several dishes.  My favorite thing to make, smell, and devour though is cranberry sauce.  Before you roll your eyes, hear me out!  I make cranberry sauce with tasty honey crisp apples cooked up in it.  SO much better than the tart sauce with orange peel most households eat.  A million times better than jellied cranberries!  The kids love it, and leftovers are fantastic on pancakes!  It’s super simple to make, cranberries keep practically indefinitely before cooked, and you get to impress your relatives with your amazing culinary skills.  What’s not to love?  Leftover cranberries are beautiful and can be used in a centerpiece.  Lucky you!  I even have some pictures on hand from a few Thanksgivings ago! 

Cranberry Applesauce (as seen in Parenting magazine November 2008) {photos by me!}
 
Okay...so maybe it looks like gore.  But it is delicious!
Prep:  15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Yield:  6 servings

3 cups (or 12 oz.) cranberries
2 apples {I recommend honey crisp.  I’ve tried others, but these give the best flavor.}
2 cups sugar {white sugar.  Brown sugar can be used if you want a more syrupy sauce}
¾ cup water
¾ cup apple juice

  1. Place cranberries in a strainer; rinse and pick them over, removing any stems or blemished berries.  {Kids can help!  It takes forever and it’s BORING, so I def recruit help.  Look out for soft berries and pitch them as well.}
  2. Peel, core, and dice the apples. {I make hubby do this while my son helps me sort the berries.}
  3. In a large saucepan, bring sugar, water, and apple juice to a boil.  Add berries and diced apples.  Boil, stirring continuously, for 10 minutes, or until berries pop. {When the berries start to pop, don’t be alarmed.  Also, be warned that it is going to begin to smell amazing very soon.}
  4. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours, or until chilled.  Serve cold. {This is amazing to make up the day before Thanksgiving.}



How Kids Can Help:  Measure ingredients; check the berries; dice apples with a small plastic knife {stay out of the way, sleep, clean the bathroom…}
Per serving:  328 calories, 0 g fat (0 g saturated), 2 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol.

Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment