Thursday, January 31, 2013

Store Brand vs. Name Brand~priddymomma



Heigh-ho, cheerio!  Heather here!  Thanks for joining us!  This week we’ll be discussing the pros and cons of store brands in relation to name brand products. 



Why store brand?

  • Cheaper
  • Packaged more intelligently
  • Flavors/options not offered in name brand
  • Better quality
  • More product for same price



Sometimes the reverse is true!  Here are my favorites and least favorites.








Go for It!
 Up&Up brand diapers from Target

Use them if you:

  • Want to save money
  • Like fewer leaks



Skip them if:

  • Your baby has extremely sensitive skin



I prefer these to name brand.







Go for It!

Pampers Sensitive Care Baby Wipes




Use them if:

  • You hate when wipes tear coming out of the container
  • Your baby has sensitive skin (eczema here!)
  • You don’t like that “baby fresh” scent



These can be sort of pricey, but I adore them for eczema care.  I buy them religiously.







Go for It!

Aveeno Eczema Cream



Use if:

  • Your kiddo has mild to severe eczema
  • Your own skin is on the dry side
  • You’ve tried other brands and hated them



There is pretty much nothing bad about this product except its price.  A little goes a long way, though.  It's well worth the money.







Go for It!

Archer Farms 100% Whole Wheat Hamburger/Hot dog buns from Target



Use if:

  • You love flavor



Skip if you:

  • Don’t care how your buns taste
  • Are in the mood to save money



I adore these buns, but they are a bit on the pricey side.  They are full of flavor, though, so I think that’s a fair compromise.






Go for It!

Meijer brand coffee (assorted varieties)



Often times you save minimal money over the name brand.  Sometimes you don’t save any at all, but we much prefer Meijer brand coffee to anything else…except maybe Dunkin’.








Go for It!

Walgreens brand Bear Claw Ice Cream



This is the BEST ice cream on the entire planet!  Dark chocolate ice cream with Danali caramel and chocolate covered cashews!  All Walgreens ice cream is pretty good.  Walgreens used to be a soda fountain back in the day.  Note:  If I go to Walgreens to get my ‘cream and can’t find it because all you lovelies have bought it up, I’ll have to knock some heads!  XD





No Way Will I Compromise

  • Peanut butter HAS to be Jiff.  Also in agreement with Tori, here.  No imitation allowed, with one exception.  We like GFS brand creamy peanut butter.  Kroger brand peanut butter is possibly my least favorite product on Earth.



  • Toilet paper:  There are some places you can try to save money.  What you wipe with shouldn’t be one.  No one needs that kind of stress.



  • Feminine Hygiene Products:  again…why take the risk?



  • Really, most regular hygiene products.  No one wants to stink or have their hair fall out.





Doesn’t Matter

  • I absolutely agree with Tori that jam/jelly tastes the same regardless of brand name.  My issue is this:  I am clumsy!  No way am I buying a glass jar!  I pay the extra money for a plastic jar every time. 



  • Milk



  • Eggs





Well, that’s about it for me!  I hope this post gives you some insight and some inspiration to make your own discoveries at your local supermarket. 



If you have special requests for topics, feel free to email us at thecaseofthemissingcheerios@gmail.com, or leave a comment and let us know.  



We'd love to hear from you!  What are some of your favorite brands? 

No comments:

Post a Comment