Saturday, February 2, 2013

Name brand vs. store brand - Leslie

As you know, the topic for the week is store brand versus name brand products.  Honestly guys, my contribution is going to be fairly short and sweet this week.

For me, it's less about store brand versus name brand and more about how I can get the best quality product for the cheapest price.  I'm not necessarily for or against either side.  In fact, a lot of the time the name brand product is the exact same as store brand.  Go ahead.  Check the ingredients.  I can wait...

I think the key is to just keep an open mind about it.  Some people swear by every single name brand and think that every store brand is lower quality.  Sometimes that is absolutely true, but not always.  Sometimes you are just wasting money on a name when the store brand is just as good, or in some cases better.  On the other hand, there are people who won't touch name brands in the name of frugality.  (Perhaps your spaghetti would have tasted less like pasta with water sauce at dinner tonight.)  What is the point of buying a product if it doesn't work or tastes horrible just because it is cheaper?

There are, of course, some things I will only buy name brand.  For example: 

  
 
Over


Coffee is one of those things that people get very opinionated about.  I prefer to drink Folger's over just about any other coffee.  Store brand will do in a pinch, but there is a huge difference in taste, and really?  Just ech. 


More and more I find myself wanting to just make things myself, however.  Breads, pastas, sauces, butter, some cheeses, cereals, laundry detergent, toothpaste, etc.  All can be made yourself.  Perhaps that's too 'crunchy' for some, or just too much work, but I think it can be a great way to save some money and know for sure what your family is using and eating is safe.

Don't be afraid to try something new.  Just because you use something, and always have (always will?), doesn't mean there isn't a product out there that you will like better or that will WORK better for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment