Thursday, May 9, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake with Peanut Butter Pie Mousse~priddymomma

Hey guys!  Glad you could join us this week.  We're testing out pinterest recipes.  Will they live up to our expectations?  Or will they be horrific pin-tastrophes?  Only one way to find out!  

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake with Peanut Butter Pie Mousse

I thought this recipe would be a perfect thing to try out on a date night in.  It only takes two minutes in the microwave to make a mug cake.  It would be super nice to share with your love.  


http://www.yammiesnoshery.com/2012/03/chocolate-peanut-butter-mug-cake.html
Cake:
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
3 Tablespoons chocolate chips

Mousse:
1 Tablespoon softened cream cheese
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons whipped cream or cool whip
1 Tablespoon powdered sugar


The Process

Melt butter in a small dish.  Add peanut butter and mix well.  It looks like really oily peanut butter now.

In a mug, mix vanilla, egg, and sugar.  A fork worked well for me.

Combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder.  

Add to mug.
Pour in peanut butter/butter mixture and mix together.  
At this point, it smells a bit like brownie mix.
Stir in chocolate chips.  More ended up in my mouth than in the mug, sadly.
Time for mousse!  Mix together cream cheese, peanut butter, and vanilla.  This was a pain.
Fold in whipped cream.  Sift in powdered sugar and fold that in too, trying not to over stir.  So fussy.
Microwave your mug of cake mix.  1-2 minutes or until done. 
Fairly certain I ultimately overcooked mine, as it turned out a little dry.
Top that cake!  Mousse and hot fudge.  I'm not winning any awards for presentation, but hey!
Oh yeah...the hot fudge is messy.  I ultimately got it on the counter, on my finger, on my shorts, and on the button for the microwave.  I don't even know...
I made a double batch of the mousse and added it to ice cream to share with the hubby along with the cake.
It was a bit dry, so we added it to the ice cream.
I would try this again, so I could avoid overcooking it the second time around.  Overall though, it was only okay.  I wasn't blown out of the water or anything.  It was very dense, which I'm not used to in a cake.  Without the mousse, it would have been very boring.  The mousse makes the cake though.  It tastes just like a Butterfinger candy bar.  Also, unless you are a cake fiend, I don't see you finishing it.  Hubby and I split ice cream and mug cake, and there was still enough for a third person to eat off our leftovers.  Also, the cook time might only be two minutes, but it took 25 minutes to assemble and take pics along the way.  I would prefer just to buy a cake mix.  I might try out one that uses Nutella though.  I love me some Nutella.

I think it would be pretty special to make up for the kiddos' birthdays, especially since they are only a few days apart.  That way, we don't have to bake an entire cake each birthday AND have cake for the party.  That's too much friggin' cake!

 Have you guys tried any pinterest recipes?  How did they turn out?  Which are your favorites?  Don't forget to check back next week for another topic, and until then keep love in your hearts and food in the kitchen, you kinks.  Sheesh.













No comments:

Post a Comment