Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Leviathan ~ Tori's Review

This week we are doing a book review on a common book that we've all read. This time we are reading:



::From the back of the book::
It is the cusp of World War I. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ genetically fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.
Aleksandar Ferdinand, a Clanker, and Deryn Sharp, a Darwinist, are on opposite sides of the war. But their paths cross in the most unexpected way, taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure….One that will change both their lives forever.

::My thoughts::
I have been waiting to read this book for quite some time. While I did enjoy this book, I was a tad disappointed at the flow. It seemed to take awhile to get off the ground.
The fantasy aspect of this book is truly captivating. It's filled with interesting machines, crazy bizarre animals, etc. Plus it puts a whole new spin on World War I like you could never even imagine in your wildest dreams. Thus we discover Steampunk novels!
The mystery of DNA has been discovered and is being manipulated to create all sorts of crossbred animals that will have your mind reeling.
I enjoyed the two main characters Deryn and Alek, although I admit I liked Deryn better. I found Alek to be annoying, while Deryn was more likable and humble. Deryn hiding that she is a girl also kept me captivated, and you just can't put aside how these two lives intertwine with one another. The fact that they each come from different sides and face so many hardships, yet set aside their differences in the name of true friendship is just amazing. The two characters really balance each other out and I felt that was a wonderful touch for the novel.
By the middle of the book I was just so intrigued to see how it would all end up I could hardly stop reading.
There are illustrations within the book that really help fuel the imagination, and brings the story to life.
I can't wait to read the next book though. The ending left me hanging. Make sure your not in the library where it's quite when finishing this book. I wanted to scream at the ending because of how it left me hanging.

Now I can't give anymore away without spoiling the whole book for you so I will leave you with this last advice:
If you enjoy YA Steampunk fiction where history is twisted into imagination this book is definietely worth checking out.


Stay tuned for Priddymomma & Leslie's thoughts on this book. And as always email us at thecaseofthemissingcheerios (at) gmail (dot) com with any post requests, or comment below. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment