Thursday, February 7, 2013

Favorite Books~priddymomma



Welcome back!  I can not put into words how absolutely ecstatic I am about this week’s topic.  I love books, and I am not shy about recommending them.



Favorite Series

Okay, so obviously I’ve already mentioned I’m a Harry Potter fan.  Fanatic?  Say what you will, I suppose.  I could sit here and write all day about Harry Potter.  I think that highly of it.  Instead, I’ll leave it as its own entity and list my other favorite series(es?).



  • The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
  • Heroes of Olympus (sequel series to above mentioned) by Rick Riordan
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher



These aren’t facetious recommendations.  I have read these at least three times each and plan to continue to read them yearly until I turn to dust.  The exception is Dresden Files.  I’ve just recently discovered the series.  Jim isn’t finished yet, and it has fourteen books, so it’ll be a bit before I read it that many times.  And with Harry Potter…well.  I’m not even sure how many times I’ve read it.  I lost count around seven. 

 

Cheerios Champ’s Current Fav



Tacky and the Winter Games by Helen Lester



Tacky the penguin is quirky and fun.  He’s a fav for my son (four years old).  He stars in several books and teaches kids that it’s okay to be different.  At times, being different is preferable to being just like everyone else.




Princess Cheerio’s Current Fav



Peek-a Who? by Nina Laden



My daughter (10 months) LOVES this book!  Its simple, repetitive rhythm engages tykes.  There’s a little window in the book that allows you to peek at the next page, which my daughter finds endlessly fascinating.  The colors and patterns are bold and appealing, and the last page is mirrored.  You can never go wrong with a mirror when it comes to babes.

 

 

I read just about anything that catches my eye and as a result, I end up reading a lot of preteen books too.

Favorite Tweeny Series

(outside of Percy Jackson, I mean)



39 Clues by Scholastic.  Misc. Authors

 This series is educational and full of action, and it’s written by amazing children's writers such as Rick Riordan and Gordon Korman.  Ages ten and up for violence factor.  An underdog brother and sister struggle to find family clues before the other branches of the family can do so, traveling throughout the world and having adventures and breaking codes and such.  The sister is bookish, so she’s constantly revealing facts about wherever they are. 


 I also end up reading a lot of young adult novels.  I can’t pick just one, so here are some of my favs.

  • Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld
  • The Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine
  • Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray

 

Favorite Parenting Book



Have a New Kid by Friday:  How to Change Your Child’s Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days by Dr. Kevin Leman



This book changed the way I parent for the better.  Hubby and I were at the end of our rope with the way our son was behaving.  We realized that many of the issues we were having were power struggles and that our son was using certain tactics to control us.  It was really eye-opening.  It feels nice to hold the cards again.  I don’t recommend this for the faint-hearted, though.  It requires you to take a deep look at your own hang-ups and childhood feelings.  If you aren’t ready to change too, don’t try this method.  If you do as he suggests, it works.  Now five days…you can rearrange your thinking and parenting style in that time, but it's best to keep in mind that parenting is an ongoing thing and consistency is key.  I recommend the book if you have kids or grand kids from the ages of three to thirty-three!





Favorite Stand-Alone Novel



The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller



Miller draws inspiration from "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" to bring classic Greek mythological heroes to life. The story is told by Patroclus, exiled prince and closest companion to Achilles. This is the story behind the big names of the Trojan War.  If you are interested in Greek mythology at all, this is for you.  I absolutely flew through this book.  It is also Miller’s first novel, so I’m excited to see what she comes up with next. 



Favorite Mystery Series

(outside of Dresden Files)



Jocelyn Shore series by Janice Hamrick (Death on Tour, Death Makes the Cut, to be cont.)



The thing I love most about this mystery series is that it’s hilarious.  A school teacher finds herself on the bad side of a murderer.  In the first book, she’s vacationing in Egypt.  In the second, she’s back home and a fellow teacher is murdered.  I have no idea how believable it’ll be for the next novel, but you know.  You really read this series for the dialogue. 

 

Favorite Horror



The Stand by Stephen King



I won’t even give you a description here.  King is the master and he needs no introduction from me.






 

Favorite Book for a Broken Heart



Stay by Allie Larkin



I didn’t actually read this book when I had a broken heart.  It would be good after a break-up or divorce though.  Hilarious at times and heart-warming at others, it’s the kind of book that will fill you with hope for the future and stoke the fires of your belief in true love.  It also is a grand example of how everything happens for a reason.  Essentially, this woman has to watch the man she loves marry her best friend.  Then, drunk out of her mind and watching Rin Tin Tin reruns, she orders a dog off the internet.  Things don’t go the way she plans and cue shenanigans.  This is my favorite stand-alone feel-good book.




Well!  I think I’ve dragged this on long enough.  You are probably more than ready to get on with your life…and maybe even set aside some time for a good read.  What are some of your favs?



If you have any special requests for topics, you can email us (thecaseofthemissingcheerios@gmail.com), or leave a comment and let us know.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment