Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What I Expected of Motherhood vs. Reality ~Tori

I have to admit motherhood is totally different than I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love my boys, and I love being a mother.
But to be honest I had a really naive idea of what motherhood was going to be like. Feed, rock, dress, play with, teach, etc., the baby but everything else would carry on.
I figured I could put my baby to bed where he would fall asleep happy, sleeping all night long. I pictured potty training being a breeze, tantrums were going to be non-existent in my world, etc.
I devoured parenting books and felt that I had it in the bag. I was going to be the best mother this world has ever seen, and I would handle it all with super-human strengths. My kids were going to be perfect little angels. But that's where I made my mistake.
I didn't really expect the long nights, forgetting to eat because I was so tired, constant diaper changing, little time to read or even shower, how potty training was going to carry on for a year and a half, how tantrums would be crazy bad and mostly happen in the most public of places, how hard it was going to be to venture out on my own with my baby for the first time, etc. It was a rude awakening to be honest, and nothing like I thought it would be. 
When I first ventured out of the house I must have packed half a box of diapers, 2 whole refills of wipes, 3 changes of extra clothes, tons of blankets, etc. I couldn't even zip my diaper bag, and it was a pretty big one at that.
When you tell everyone your pregnant everyone cheers, hugs, congratulates you, etc., but they don't tell you how hard it's going to be. They don't get into the nitty gritty details of what is all to come. But it is also the most rewarding thing in this world if you ask me. I love being a mother and that part is exactly how I pictured it. Motherhood is constantly changing, and you just gotta roll with the punches. I get overwhelmed, I get stressed, I am not the perfect mother despite all my parenting books, and I finally realize that it is an unrealistic dream. None of us is going to be super-woman. We shouldn't expect that of ourselves because it's only letting yourself down in the end. All we can do is the best that we can. And it really does help to have other mothers to talk to around your age. It doesn't matter how many parenting books you read, or how well you think your prepared for motherhood. It's going to come and it's gonna be packing heat along with it, but it's going to be breath-taking. You will experience a love you never thought possible, and you will finally uncover hidden strengths you didn't even know you possessed. Even though motherhood isn't all rainbows and butterflies it is the best part of life. And one I am so thankful for despite all the hectic, crazy, sleepless nights. My children are my world, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Be sure to check back Thursday for priddymomma's post & Saturday for Leslie's :)

And again if you have any topic suggestions feel free to email them to us at thecaseofthemissingcheerios(at)gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment